Opening our hearts to the reality of climate change is by itself a courageous practice, perhaps even radical action in a predominant culture that trains us not to be connected to our suffering. It takes courage to turn our purposeful attention towards the issue of global climate change during a time when this is uncomfortable, uncertain and unpopular. Your willingness is the stuff of transformation. Whether we work together on the One Earth Sangha project or not, we are already in sangha with you.
What follows below will orient you to our current needs, give you information about what might be involved and let you know how to follow up with us.
We have identified what we think are a number of exciting volunteer positions with various levels of qualifications and time requirements. Some positions we can wait to fill; others are needed right away. This might seem a bit like applying for a job, and, well, it is in the sense that we’re all investing together in a process. We’re looking to build a solid team with realistic time commitments and clear roles. We’ll be focused on our tasks but also connecting to one another.
As we aspire to build a vibrant, diverse community fully engaged on climate change, all positions call for awareness of the dynamics of privilege (racial, economic, geographic, citizen status, physical abilities, etc.). While you might not have much experience with this topic, qualified candidates will be open to and interested in that ongoing conversation. We also have the intention of connecting to joy, as action in service of life has a way of relieving anxiety. Most of all, we wish to view our work together as practice. Here are the roles we are looking to add to Team 1ES (Team One Earth Sangha):
EcoSangha Network Organizer
Are you a networker by nature? We’re working to build out the support structure we provide for small EcoSanghas around the world.
- Role: Our network organizer would work with our team and guiding teachers to build a resource center for groups that want the support of regular programming, building connections and joining local action opportunities.
- Qualifications: Enthusiasm for EcoDharma, comfort with tech solutions such as Zoom and Google Docs. Experience in supporting online communities is a major plus.
- Touch Points for Coordination: Director
- Time commitment: flexible but 2-3 hours per week is ideal
Dharma and Policy Advocate
- Role: We are looking for volunteers interested in working with our environmental justice policy partners, especially in the US at the federal level. With our Engagement Coordinator, you will help represent One Earth Sangha, collaborate with other faith groups on policy, and contribute to initiatives directed at the broader EJ movement.
- Qualifications: Strong communicator, passionate about joining forces with other faith and social justice groups, interested in policy development, excited about what the Buddhist tradition and communities can bring to these partnerships, and enjoy light project management and public advocacy. No need to live in DC, just in a compatible time zone.
- Touch Point for Coordination: Engagement Coordinator
- Time commitment: 1-3 hours per week
Zoom Meeting Administrator
- Role: Get trained up running zoom meetings and webinars and then provide support to One Earth Sangha’s live gatherings. Help us get them set up correctly and then support the meetings themselves by managing breakout groups, Q&A segments, polls, chat interactions, etc.
- Qualifications: Comfortable with technology and excited to offer technical support to others. Prior experience with Zoom or the like would be great but isn’t required.
- Touch Points for Coordination: Director.
- Time Commitment: After getting trained up on Zoom, 3 – 4 hours per month.
- Role: Work in our mailchimp system to assemble the components of our monthly newsletters.
- Qualifications: Comfort with technology, specifically light HTML and image formatting. Experience with mailchimp is not required but a big plus.
- Touch Points for Coordination: Director and web producer.
- Time Commitment: 1-3 hours per week.
Social Media Assistant
- Role: One Earth Sangha’s mission is to generate, cultivate, and propagate EcoDharma: wisdom and practices focused on repairing our relationships with ourselves, one another, and the whole of the Earth. As our Social Media Assistant, you will help share EcoDharma content posted on our website to our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts, and you’ll spread the word about events taking place around the world (and online).
- Qualifications: Strong communication and collaboration skills, as well as passion for environmental justice. Must be very comfortable with Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Ideal candidates will also have familiarity with a mindfulness or Dharma tradition.
- Touch Points for Coordination: Director and Social Media Coordinator.
- Time Commitment: 1-3 hours per week.
If any of these roles sound like a good fit for your interests, skills and availability, we’ll be excited to hear from you. Send an email to gro.a1614820804hgnas1614820804htrae16148208041@tce1614820804nnoc1614820804, include the title of the position(s) you’re interested in and share your answers to the questions below. Don’t feel the need to write a big essay; feel free to keep it short and to the point. That said, if you want to share context, subtleties or your quirky personality, go for it!
- Why are you interested in joining our team? What does working on One Earth Sangha represent to you?
- Which position are you interested in?
- How do your skills and experience fit the qualifications? Feel free to share additional skills beyond those we mentioned that might be of interest.
- Have you held other volunteer positions in the past? If so, what were some of the rewards and challenges of that work? Even if you haven’t, what do you think might be especially rewarding and challenging about working on One Earth Sangha?
Beyond answering these questions, feel free to share anything else that you think might be helpful. If it looks like you might be a good fit for one of our positions, we’ll get back to you in order to continue the conversation. Regardless, we thank you for your expression of love for the Earth and for your interest in joining us on this path. May you know your belonging to all of life. May you rest in natural and great peace.