Opening our hearts to the reality of climate change is by itself a courageous practice, perhaps even radical action in a predominant culture that trains us not to be connected to our suffering. It takes courage to turn our purposeful attention towards the issue of global climate change during a time when this is uncomfortable, uncertain and unpopular. Your willingness is the stuff of transformation. Whether we work together on the One Earth Sangha project or not, we are already in sangha with you.
What follows below will orient you to our current needs, give you information about what might be involved and let you know how to follow up with us.
We have identified what we think are a number of exciting opportunities with various levels of qualifications and time requirements. Some positions we can wait to fill; others are needed right away. We’re looking to build a solid team with realistic time commitments and clear roles. We’ll be focused on our tasks but also connecting to one another.
As we aspire to build a vibrant, diverse community fully engaged on climate change, all positions call for awareness of the dynamics of privilege (racial, economic, geographic, citizen status, physical abilities, etc.). While you might not have much experience with this topic, qualified candidates will be open to and interested in that ongoing conversation. We also have the intention of connecting to joy, as action in service of life has a way of relieving anxiety. Most of all, we wish to view our work together as practice. Here are the roles we are looking to add to Team 1ES (Team One Earth Sangha):
There are currently no openings for paid positions. Subscribe to our newsletter to learn about future openings.
EcoDharma Program Manager (27 – 32 hours/week)The EcoDharma Program Manager will play a central role in the design, development, and delivery of our EcoDharma Programs, including the EcoSattva Training and monthly EcoDharma Explorations. We are now developing new, complementary programming to support ongoing engagement, practice, and connection. We seek a program manager to take the lead on managing this full set of online offerings.
EcoDharma Program Manager (full-time)
- If possible, improve parameterization. Instead of five buttons, just one that passes through any src= parameter.
- Make sure that this page and any subsidiary position pages have good sharing image and text
The full-time EcoDharma Program Manager will play a central role in the design, development, and delivery of our EcoDharma Programs. Our programs include the EcoSattva Training and monthly EcoDharma Explorations. We are now developing new, complementary programming to support ongoing engagement, practice, and connection. We seek a program manager to take the lead on this full set of online offerings.
- Role: Our website is a central component of our Virtual EcoDharma Center. Help us format our course content, forms, and other resources on our Wordpress platform.
- Qualifications: Some experience with web editing, image manipulation, and layout is a must. Familiarity with WordPress and HTML is helpful but not strictly essential.
- Touch Points for Coordination: Assistant Director
- Time Commitment: 2-3 hours per week
- Role: Video makes up a large part of One Earth Sangha’s EcoDharma program offerings. We are looking for a videographer to help us film and edit footage in a way that helps us inspire our community.
- Qualifications: Experience and expertise with digital videography and editing, willingness to learn and help develop One Earth Sangha’s visual style. Passion for environmental justice and interest in the Dharma are strong pluses. No need to live in Washington, D.C., just in a compatible time zone.
- Touch Point for Coordination: Director and/or Assistant Director
- Time commitment: 1-3 hours per week
Interfaith Policy Liaison
- Role: We are looking for volunteers interested in working with interfaith and environmental justice policy partners, especially in the US at the federal level. With our Engagement Coordinator, you will help represent One Earth Sangha, collaborate with other faith groups on policy, and contribute to initiatives directed at the broader EJ movement.
- Qualifications: Strong communicator, passionate about joining forces with other faith and social justice groups, interested in policy development, excited about what the Buddhist tradition and communities can bring to these partnerships, and enjoy light project management and public advocacy.
- Touch Point for Coordination: Engagement Coordinator
- Time commitment: 1-3 hours per week
Following UpIf any of these volunteer roles sound like a good fit for your interests, skills and availability, we’ll be excited to hear from you. Send an email to , include the title of the position(s) you’re interested in and share your answers to the questions below. Don’t feel the need to write a big essay; feel free to keep it short and to the point. That said, if you want to share context, subtleties or your quirky personality, go for it!
- Why are you interested in joining our team? What does working on One Earth Sangha represent to you?
- Which position are you interested in?
- How do your skills and experience fit the qualifications? Feel free to share additional skills beyond those we mentioned that might be of interest.
- Have you held other volunteer positions in the past? If so, what were some of the rewards and challenges of that work? Even if you haven’t, what do you think might be especially rewarding and challenging about working on One Earth Sangha?