This talk was excerpted from Showing Up for the Planet, a daylong program on August 22 hosted by Marin Sangha. Speakers in addition to Donald included Thanissara, James Baraz, Kritee Kanko, Teja Bell, Kristin Barker, and Eve Decker.
View the slide deck from the presentation.
Six Core Practices for Those Showing Up for the Planet
- Regular communion with the earth.
- Building community and a sense of connection, and practicing in this context.
- Being skillful with difficult emotions and thoughts related to the climate emergency.
- Cultivating empathy and compassion, and bringing the empathy across boundaries of country, race, age, class, and political views.
- Staying connected to one’s imagination.
- Finding one’s own form of committed action and staying with it.
“We need practices which sustain our vision and our bodies, hearts and minds, and our communities.”
“Typically the difficult narratives are covering over unacknowledged or unprocessed pain. We need to get beneath the narratives.”
“I like to talk about empathy more as an intentional practice, than an innate capacity.”
“These are not just about finding personal balance or meaning. These practices create a new world.”