This six-week course led by Tim Ream begins on March 5, 2024. Register by March 3, 2024.
The litany of threats to Life on Earth are well-known by all who care to see. Yet the overwhelming nature of what we face often leads to paralysis instead of action. It is hard to know where to start or what to do – and hard to believe that one person’s actions even matter. Still, the dharma teaches us that every action, word, and even thought has consequences. There is no way to separate our life energy from the suffering of the world.
This course, led by Earth activist and Zen practitioner Tim Ream, will take you through a five-step model for activism grounded in care, community, and empowerment. You’ll be given a chance to refine the issue or issues that motivate you to act, draw inspiration from those already making a difference, learn a wide set of very practical skills for transforming your concern for beings into effective action, and find specific opportunities to employ your new-found skills.
The six-week course runs from March 5 to April 18, 2024 with live sessions supporting different time zones.
- Regular sessions: Weekly Tuesdays (Mar 5, 12, 19; Apr 2, 9, 16)*
- Time: 4pm US Pacific Time / 7pm US Eastern Time
- Duration: 1 hour and 45 minutes
- Recorded? Yes
Recordings of the regular Tuesday sessions will be made available the following day and will remain available for three months after the program ends. For participants who miss a session, are in time zones where live participation in the regular sessions above would be difficult, or simply wish to spend more time in conversation with other participants, additional weekly discussion periods will be available if there is sufficient interest.
- Alternate/Supplemental discussion sessions: Weekly Thursdays (Mar 7, 14, 21; Apr 4, 11, 18)*
- Time: 10am US Pacific Time / 1pm US Eastern Time
- Duration: 45 minutes
- Recorded? No
*There is a break during the week of March 25.
Who is this for?
The course is designed for folks with a mindfulness or Dharma practice, but no specific knowledge of Buddhism is necessary to participate. The same is true for activist skills or experience. The only real prerequisites are a love of Earth and a desire for change.
Tim Ream is a long-time Earth activist and Zen practitioner. He was lay ordained by Tenshin Reb Anderson in 1994 and has since engaged in frequent, intensive residential practice, mostly at Tassajara Zen Mountain Center and Green Gulch Farm. Tim is an organizer, campaigner, writer, film maker, and environmental attorney. His activism spans everything from direct action and civil disobedience like tree-sitting and road blockading to successful lawsuits to protect wolves and other species.
Registration fees help cover the significant costs of our offerings. Registration for this six-week program is offered on a sliding scale, with a basic rate of $100.
We invite you to consider your ability to pay as a function of your geographic and social location as well as other circumstances. Our sliding fee scales are based on your relative financial standing in a global context*. Considerations include:
- historical discrimination and disenfranchisement faced by your peoples;
- your financial wealth (do you have retirement savings?);
- your access to income and financial wealth, both current and anticipated (how easily could you earn more income compared to other people in your country and in the world? do you expect to receive an inheritance?);
- people counting on your financial livelihood including dependents and community members;
- and the socio-economic conditions of your locale (relative to other places in your country and in the world).
* We are grateful to the folks at Network Weaver for this framework.
The sliding scale for this program is as follows:
- Basic Rate: $100
- Supporter Rate: $150
- Sustainer Rate: $250
It is our policy that no one is ever turned away for lack of funds. Need-based discounts are available to those who are unable to afford the basic rate.
Know someone who might be interested? Help us spread the word and have them join you for the experience!