Based on my love of the world and understanding of deep interdependence of all things,
- To live in Earth more lightly and less violently in the food, products and energy I consume.
- To commit myself daily to the healing of the world and the welfare of all beings; to discern and replace human systems of oppression and harm.
- To invite personal discomfort as an opportunity to share in the challenge of our collective liberation.
- To draw inspiration, strength and guidance from the living Earth, ancestors and the future generations, as well as siblings of all species.
- To help others in their work for the world and to ask for help when I feel the need.
- To pursue a daily spiritual practice that clarifies my mind, strengthens my heart and supports me in observing these vows.
Many have asked about the origins and usage rights for these vows. They are based on Joanna Macy’s “Five Vows” from the Work that Reconnects and published in her book, Active Hope. In a collaboration between Joanna and One Earth Sangha’s co-founders, Kristin Barker and Lou Leonard, this revision was developed and then offered at the end of the first EcoSattva Training.
They have since been shared widely and we consider that they belong to all of us. You are free to copy these vows, customize and use them for your practice and that of your community.