Continuing the Journey Together
Session eight is the final in the formal series.
In this session, we are joined again by Joanna Macy who is here to inform, inspire and send us off. We review again the three views of how our world unfolds: “Business as Usual,” the “Great Unraveling” or the “Great Turning.” Joanna reframes our place in this world as significantly and sacredly empowered, nearly chiding us not to underestimate our role in its healing. We conclude the session with the opportunity to take, together and for those who are interested, a set of EcoSattva Vows.
Gaian Teacher Joanna Macy PhD, is a scholar of Buddhism, general systems theory, and deep ecology. A respected voice in the movements for peace, justice, and ecology, she interweaves her scholarship with five decades of activism. As the root teacher of the Work That Reconnects, she has created a ground-breaking theoretical framework for personal and social change, as well as a powerful workshop methodology for its application. She is author of many books, most recently Active Hope: How to Face the Mess We’re in without Going Crazy and the revised edition of Coming Back to Life. More at JoannaMacy.net.
Resources for Session Eight
Session audio recording: (1 hour, 28 minutes)
[expand title=”Access timing and breakout inquiries here” tag=”strong”]
- 0:00:00: Opening with short gathering of attention and collective sounding
- 0:02:16: Kristin’s introduction (at 0 hours, 2 minutes, 16 seconds)
- 0:09:24: Joanna’s first offering
- 0:21:50: Breakout session 1
- We recommend groups of 3 or 4 given 3 or 4 minutes each
- Inquiry: “What need is calling for your heart, mind, body response? What resources might already be present to support you in moving into this response?”
- 0:22:58: Community harvest 1
- 0:34:37: Joanna’s second offering
- 0:46:50: Breakout session 2
- Inquiry: “As you imagine yourself a future being, what you would want to say to your present-day self?”
- 0:47:54: Community harvest 2
- 0:59:58: Message from Thanissara
- 1:02:40: Lou’s science and policy update
- 1:13:32: Gratitude and generosity
- 1:17:41: EcoSattva Vows
- 1:25:08: Dedication of merits
Session transcript: [download id=”5893″] (PDF)
- Documentary Series: Race, the Power of an Illusion
- Page: EcoSattva Vows
- Website: The Work that Reconnects
- Reference: In this session, Joanna mentioned her “Guides for Study Action Groups.” You can find these listed in the appendix of her book, Active Hope.
- Book: Blessed Unrest by Paul Hawken
Dana – Generosity
To maximize participation, we are offering this series at minimal cost. All of the teachers and leaders on these calls offer their gifts freely in this spirit of dana. In addition, One Earth Sangha has full-time staff who will be supported through the practice of dana, or generosity, from people like you.
If you value this and other offerings from One Earth Sangha and want to support a Dharma-informed response to ecological crises, we invite you to support these efforts. Dana, or generosity, is considered an essential part of practice. We simply cannot continue our work without your support. Any amount you offer is deeply appreciated.
Previous Session: Integrating Outer Practice and the Dharma
Closing Session: Closing session with Thanissara