Part-Time Staff Posting
Posted February 29, 2024
Who We Are
The mission of One Earth Sangha is to support humanity in a transformative response to ecological crises based on the insights and practices of the Buddhist tradition. Through our Virtual EcoDharma Center, we are here to inspire, inform, and guide our members in actions that will end ecological violence. We assert that engagement is, on the one hand, essential to the spiritual path and, on the other hand, more effective and sustainable when grounded in transformative insight and authentic compassion.
We also aspire to skillfully challenge contemporary convert-Dharma culture and practices. We suggest that because the predominant Dharma traditions in the West are embedded in consumerist, mililarist, hyperindividualist, white supremacist, and species-ist culture, they will have a tendency to replicate and empower these cultural patterns. Yet the Dharma itself teaches self-scrutiny. As practitioners, we can welcome challenges to what we take to be reality, to what we view as “the way things are.” This endless Dharma never lets us off the hook and yet always offers a way forward.
We invite you to learn more about our mission, strategy, and history here: About Us
Duties and Responsibilities
We are seeking a part-time staff writer who will play a critical role in communicating with current and potential members of our community. Based on interest, skills, and experience, the EcoDharma writer will do some combination of the following:
- Develop descriptions of our current and upcoming EcoDharma programs
- Conceive, write, and finalize original EcoDharma articles
- Develop short introductions to or descriptions of EcoDharma articles for our website, emails, and social media channels
- Work with the director to develop copy for our monthly newsletter
- Work with staff and volunteers to identify existing as well as develop ideas for new EcoDharma content
- Contribute to the tools and processes that support our team in transparency, collaboration and efficiency (e.g., policies, best-practices, tracking tools, etc.)
Qualified candidates will have
- Passion for the power of mindfulness and/or Dharma practice.
- Passion for developing meaningful responses to ecological and social justice issues.
- Developed awareness of and demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Excellent writing and copy-editing skills
- Ability to represent the perspective and, with both nuance and creativity, “speak in the voice” of One Earth Sangha
- Strong communication skills: able to effectively communicate ideas and feedback, in both spoken and written form, in ways that serve our mission and build the team.
- Proficiency with online technologies including Google Docs, Google Spreadsheets, task management systems, Zoom, etc.
- Part-time staff: 10-25 hours/week, subject to negotiation | $20-27/hour, based on experience
- Collaboration: online
- Location: anywhere whose time zone is within three hours of US Eastern Time
- The EcoDharma Writer will provide their own computer, phone, phone service, and reliable internet connection.
As we continue to broaden the perspectives that contribute to our mission, we highly encourage applications from candidates with non-dominant identities and lived experiences, especially those who are Black, Indigenous, or other persons of color, as well as younger candidates.
One Earth Sangha is a fiscally sponsored project of Inquiring Systems, Inc., a 501(c)(3) corporation registered in California, USA. As such, Inquiring Systems is the legal employer for all One Earth Sangha staff.
Inquiring Systems, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, pregnancy-related conditions, and lactation), gender identity or expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances. Inquiring Systems, Inc.’s management team is dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, access to facilities and programs, and general treatment during employment.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should select one of the buttons below and complete the application form that follows. Applicants for both the volunteer role and the staff position will be asked to provide a writing sample, and applicants for the staff position will also be asked to upload a résumé.