At the conclusion of the EcoSattva Training, we invite those who are so moved in confirming our commitment to health, vitality and ease for all beings, seen and unseen, near and far, born and yet-to-be-born. These vows, like the metta phrases, can be customized and tuned to fit the shape of your heart-mind, what will most inspire and sustain your EcoSattva practice. We can repeat them everyday as a reminder of our intention and be strengthened in knowing that others are expressing these same intentions.
- To live in Earth more lightly and less violently in the food, products and energy I consume.
- To commit myself daily to the healing of the world and the welfare of all beings; to discern and replace human systems of oppression and harm.
- To invite personal discomfort as an opportunity to share in the challenge of our collective liberation.
- To draw inspiration, strength and guidance from the living Earth, from our ancestors and the future generations, and from our siblings of all species.
- To help others in their work for the world and to ask for help when I feel the need.
- To pursue a daily spiritual practice that clarifies my mind, strengthens my heart and supports me in observing these vows
Many have asked about the origins and usage rights for these vows. They are based on Joanna Macy’s “Five Vows” from the Work that Reconnects and published in her book, Active Hope (p. 202). In a collaboration between Joanna and One Earth Sangha’s co-founders, Kristin Barker and Lou Leonard, this revision was developed and then offered at the end of the first EcoSattva Training.
They have since been shared widely and we consider that belong to all of us. You are free to copy these vows, customize and use them for your practice and that of your community.
Let us know in the comments below what these mean to you, and how you have used and offered them them in your communities. One such example follows here …
Set to Music!
After completing the EcoSattva Training, Charity Kahn composed and recorded this musical version of the EcoSattva Vows. You can listen below, and it’s free to download. If you do donate, Charity will graciously be sending all proceeds back to One Earth Sangha. Thank you, Charity!